Monday, March 12, 2007

a spatial little nugget

There's this story that I heard, maybe it was something that I read and I hope that I do it justice by retelling it.

Taking a break from Monday's toil I was reminded of it, I was reminded that sometimes you just need to think spatially about a problem and trust the solution.

In the Thirties, a publishing company was battling to sell its quota of books, it had tried many different things, marketing campaigns and what-not but nothing consistently worked.

Then one day a wise old man on overhearing the problem said that he knew the solution. Sceptical and amused the management thought that they had nothing to loose so they gave the old man a chance at solving their conundrum.

He disappeared into the world of construction, appealing to Architects and Interior Designers to include book shelves in the living and bedrooms of the many new apartments that where being built. It wasn’t long after the families who owned these homes made their way to bookstores to fill up their empty shelves.

The old man shelved the problem, so to speak. I could use a few shelves myself, but I am too lazy to spatially react to my conundrum of having to many books.

No comments: