Saturday, May 10, 2008

pretty persuasion

There's this great line in the musical version of Ninotchka (Silk Stockings) and I'm not sure if the original has it, even though it starred Greta Garbo, and is infinitely better.


Julie Newmar: How can I persuade him if you
can't.

Fred Astaire: Because we are built differently...

And she
smiles wickedly and says aarh.

Sometimes you just have to see things from a slightly different perspective that's all that's required for the pretty mental persuasion to occur.


Julie Newmar stole the show in Silk Stockings, a colourful character who is noted for some tremendously astute observations, as extracted from the the wiki:



Tell me I'm beautiful, it's nothing. Tell me I'm intellectual, I know it. Tell me I'm funny and it's the greatest compliment in the world anyone could give me." — New York Times interview.

"I should have slept with the better producers. I didn’t recognize my worth." -
Esquire
Magazine
, 2007."




"Ecstasy and beauty are eternal."



"I had three miscarriages, then, at forty-eight, a child with serious
developmental difficulties. He is a blessing and a jewel. He is my teacher. From him I get and
give unconditional love."


"More is not necessarily better. Better is better."

"Shape up, folks. There is no death. Think of it as evolution."


"You can’t fail. The further you fall, the greater the opportunity for growth and change."



No comments: